Tuesday, April 10, 2018

New Book Release!

Today I released my sixth novel. It's my first foray into historical romance and the beginning of a new series that takes place at the tail-end of the Victorian Era. The planned novels won't necessarily follow a chronological order but will all be somehow related.

The first novel is called Chase for Love and centers on the late Victorian horse racing and steeplechase scenes. I've had a lifelong love for horses and have always wanted to incorporate that into a novel. 







Here's a blurb for the first For Love novel:


Harrison Stoke, the Duke of Guildford, has just hired the unknown son of Britain’s best horse trainer, to develop the prospects for his new racing stable. There’s something about Vic that Harrison can’t place, but the boy is a marvel with horses, and Stoke Stables has seen nothing but success since his arrival. 

Vic has a secret, one that he’s finding hard to keep from the attentive duke. Too many aristocratic men thought they could take advantage of a horse trainer’s daughter so Victoria O’Reilly began to dress like a boy for protection. She became Vic O’Reilly, and the plan had worked well until she was nearly raped by the son of her employer. Her father sent her to Stoke Manor, hoping his friend would keep her safe. 

But when her attacker unexpectedly arrives at Stoke Manor, Victoria is injured, and her true identity is revealed, changing everything. Harrison tries to keep her safe from the danger that haunts her while struggling not to form an attraction. Victoria tries to focus on training the duke’s steeplechase prospects, but finds herself constantly distracted by his presence, and the aristocratic world she is thrown into. 

Through danger, friendship, understanding, and victory, they learn that they weren’t just training horses for the chase, but had been chasing each other all along.


I have posted an excerpt on my website as well. You can find it here: AuthorAmandaMeredith.com


On the Amazon purchase page, you can click 'Look Ahead' and it will show you the first five chapters! Here's the link: Amazon




But since you came all the way to my blog for news of my new release, I'm going to give you an exclusive excerpt from Chase for Love that you won't be able to find anywhere else... unless you buy the book! So here we go:



“You cannot be serious,” Victoria whispered, her face pale as she sat at the breakfast table.
“I am,” Helena answered with a smile.
“I cannot be introduced to society,” Victoria spluttered. “I’m a horse trainer.”
“You are also the granddaughter of a marquess,” Helena reminded her. “Irish or not, that makes you a well-born lady, and entitled to a grand introduction in the ton.”
“Why?”
“Why not?” Helena countered. “You’re of age, you’re unattached, and you come from a highly respectable line of aristocracy.”
“I am a horse trainer,” Victoria insisted through clenched teeth.
“You can be both,” Helena assured her. “Just not in front of the ton,” she added with a snicker. Victoria snorted as she pushed the food around her plate with her fork. Her face paled and she looked up at Helena.
“Don’t young ladies have to be presented to Queen Victoria before their introduction to society?” Helena pursed her lips before answering.
“They do,” she murmured. Victoria set her fork carefully on the table. Her hand was shaking so badly that the silver rattled against the plate.
“You are quite mad,” she whispered, making Helena chuckle.
“The ton will love you,” she answered. “You’re mysterious, interesting, and something they’ve never seen before. Even the scandal involving your father…” She paused, seeing Victoria’s face turn green. “Victoria, you are a lady. Regardless of what has happened, that fact cannot be denied.”
“I am the daughter of a runaway lady and an Irish commoner,” Victoria answered, her voice quivering.
“You are a well-born lady, Victoria,” Helena corrected. “Your parents’ story will be seen as a Shakespearean romance by the ton. Being the granddaughter of an aristocrat trumps any scandal.”
“This is ridiculous,” Victoria grumbled, realizing Helena would not be swayed.
“It will be fine,” Helena soothed. “We’ll go visit the seamstress in the village tomorrow to see what she has that we can alter for your size. But we’ll have to make a trip to London for a new wardrobe. You’ll need a spectacular gown to be presented to the queen.”
“I know nothing of fashion, Helena.”
“Fortunately for you, I know everything about it,” Helena teased. “So, you’re in good hands.”
“I have no money to pay for such things,” Victoria stated but sighed with the look Helena was giving her. “I cannot rely on his grace’s charity.”
“Oh posh,” Helena interrupted. “It isn’t charity. You are my friend.”
“It’s still charity, regardless of our friendship,” Victoria pointed out.
“Nonsense,” Helena scoffed. “You won’t sway me, Victoria.” Harrison entered the breakfast room, nearly making Victoria jump out of her chair.
“Ladies,” he murmured, bowing to them. “Don’t fret on my account, Miss O’Reilly.”
“I wasn’t,” Victoria stuttered. “I mean, I’m not.” She put her shaking hands in her lap as the duke filled a plate at the buffet, before sitting next to Helena. She frowned at the wrappings around her arm. According to Doctor Stanton, she’d need to wear it another week.
“I’ve sent a letter to your uncle,” Harrison told her as he poured a glass of orange juice. “I had it taken by personal messenger. We shall hopefully hear back in a week or so.”
“Thank you, your grace,” Victoria whispered, her hands still shaking in her lap.
“Think nothing of it,” he answered, taking a bite of toast. Victoria squirmed in her chair, clearly uncomfortable. “Honestly, Miss O’Reilly,” he murmured between bites. “You act as if you’re sitting on pins and needles. Surely I don’t make you that nervous.”
“You are a man,” Helena pointed out, making Victoria blush.
“Really?” Harrison replied with a look of shock. “I hadn’t noticed.”
“Your grace,” Victoria spoke up, her voice trembling. “I am… unused to such a situation,” she explained. “I mean no offense.”
“None taken,” Harrison replied. “I understand your situation, Miss O’Reilly. I had hoped that by now, you would be able to trust that I mean you no harm.”
“I do,” Victoria stuttered. “Trust you, that is.” She sighed, carefully reaching for her tea, and taking a sip. “I do not fear your presence, your grace,” she explained. “Only the… environment. I have been a bit out of practice at…” She looked at Helena, struggling for an explanation. “At all of this.” She gestured at the table as she spoke.
“At eating breakfast?” Harrison questioned, giving her a smile.
“At being a lady,” Victoria murmured, blushing. Harrison set his toast down and took a drink of juice as he considered her.
“Did you not inform me that your father took great pains to see you educated?”
“He did, your grace,” Victoria answered. “But knowing and doing are two different things.”
“Indeed,” he answered with a smile. “I believe you only need a bit of practice, Miss O’Reilly,” he explained. “Helena would see to that best.” He inclined his head toward his sister and she smiled widely. “I believe I shall host a ball later this month,” He paused as Victoria’s face paled again. “With local families only,” he added. “It shall be good practice for London.”
“I can’t attend the season in London until I am presented to the queen,” Victoria reminded him.
“Of course,” Harrison answered. “And you shall be, after I hear from your uncle. If he is married, his wife will chaperone you. If he is unattached, Helena can.” Victoria blanched at this but held her tongue. She scowled, staring at her plate as her face reddened. “Is there a problem, Miss O’Reilly?” Harrison questioned with a grin.
“Only a hundred of them,” Victoria muttered, making Helena chuckle. “But I see that I have no say in the matter.” Harrison chuckled and finished his toast. “But I would like to talk to you about the horses.”
“The horses?” Harrison took a sip of orange juice. “What about them?”
“I’d like to be allowed to work with them again.”
“Absolutely not,” Harrison answered quickly.
“Why not?”
“It’s too dangerous,” he replied. Victoria gave a very unladylike snort, making his eyebrows lift.
“I worked with them for quite some time when I first came here,” Victoria pointed out.
“That was before I knew you were a woman,” he told her.
“That isn’t exactly true,” Helena interrupted. “You knew who she was after Cheltenham.”
“But she didn’t know that I knew she was a woman,” Harrison growled.
“It doesn’t matter if you knew I was a woman or not,” Victoria insisted. “I worked with the horses for months without issue.”
“Until you broke your wrist and nearly your neck,” Harrison pointed out.
“That was not my fault,” Victoria growled. “Besides, I’m fine. I need to work with the horses, your grace.”
“No.”
“Harrison,” Helena murmured, laying a hand on his arm.
“No,” he repeated firmly. “It’s too dangerous. Now that everyone knows who you are… It’s simply too dangerous for a woman to be in the stables.”
“That’s ridiculous,” Victoria argued. “You’re treating me as if I were prisoner here.”
“Now who’s being ridiculous?” Harrison asked, giving her a small smile. Victoria scowled, clenching her fingers in her lap. “You are not a prisoner here, Miss O’Reilly,” he told her gently. “You are a guest.”
“Will you permit me to ride?” Victoria asked carefully.
“Of course,” Harrison answered. “Provided you have a chaperone with you.” Victoria groaned at his answer. “And no racing.” Her mouth closed with an audible snap. She stood, making Harrison hastily rise from his own seat.
“I’ve lost my appetite,” she whispered, her voice shaking with emotion. “Excuse me, your grace,” she curtsied and left the room without waiting for his reply. He waited until the door shut behind her before taking his seat again.
“What was that all about?” he grumbled, taking another piece of toast.
“You are so obtuse,” Helena growled as she threw her napkin to the table and stood. Harrison rose again, nearly knocking his plate from the table in his haste.
“What did I say?” he complained, but his sister didn’t answer as she strode from the room. “Damn and blast,” he grumbled as he sat heavily in his chair. “Women.”


I hope you enjoyed some sneak peaks at my new release. The next For Love novel, Offer For Love, will be out by the end of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment